Wednesday

Pack Leader at the Dog Park-a dog training lesson




15% OFF Dog Dental Treats
Don't Forget the Treats

 



Sammy, Buddy, Jake, Bobo, Scruffy and Jack



Yesterday I was at the dog park and saw a perfect example of a pack leader.  This was the best dog training lesson for anyone to witness because it is much different to see it happening before your eyes rather than on the Dog Whisperer Show.  It was fun to see. 

 The dog park is set up with three large areas that are fenced off around the outside and divided with two fences down the middle.  The large square area and the two dividers have gates to pass from one section to the other.  A woman with a medium size dog and very small dog was walking in the farthest corner of the third section.  On one end of her section some larger dogs were playing and it looked as though she didn’t want to go that direction.  I was in the middle section with my six large dogs, one of them a young Pit Bull who likes to greet everyone who comes into the gate with great enthusiasm.  It was quite clear she felt a little trapped. 

The only way for her to get out was to go through one of the areas with the large dogs.  She tried the back end gate which is always locked in order to keep a limited number open so there is not complete chaos at the park with dogs coming and going from every direction. 

 I was getting ready to approach the woman and ask her if she wanted me to corral my dogs so she could walk through with her dogs on the leash.  My dogs are typically very good with other dogs.  However, I have Aussies and they like to herd anything in site and if they all start off together it can frighten some of the dogs.  If I am not close enough to get their attention I don’t like it.  Keep in mind this is a huge dog park that is over 10 acres and if I am by one gate and someone comes through the other gate I can’t keep up with the dogs if they decide to go investigate. These three are usually so interested in chasing the tennis ball that they don’t even pay attention to other dogs.  The Pit Bull puppy still has puppy energy and is a little over friendly at times.  He is learning though and doing well when I am being a good pack leader.

The woman in the other section was on the phone so I didn’t say anything to her and then got distracted picking up a few tennis balls a few hundred feet away from the gate.  The next thing I see is this young woman walking through the end gate with no warning.  She had both her two smaller dogs on leashes and she was in complete control.  She exuded calm, assertive energy as she entered the gate, her dogs following perfectly. My Pit Bull ran over to say hello to the dogs and I was a little nervous being a long way away.  But her pack was on a mission. 

She held her head up, had one hand on the phone, the other hand holding both leashes.  As my dog approached she paid no attention to him and told her dogs to keep moving.  My dog got in one sniff and they were still on the move.  His playful energy was completely neutralized by the woman’s strong assertive energy.  She was going to complete her mission and get through the park without any big dogs bothering her or her little ones.  She did it just the way Cesar would have done. 

It would be nice to have gotten it on video because it would have been a great dog training aid while reinforcing the dog whisperer methods.  It was the first time I have seen another person practice being the pack leader in person.  I have seen it on the Dog Whisperer Television show, read about it in books, and try to be a good pack leader myself but witnessing this event totally convinced me that dog training is all about energy.  I could feel it myself and my Pit Bull didn’t know what to do.  He was completely obedient and did not try to disrupt her pack. 

I already was a big believer in the methods Cesar teaches but this made me even more certain that it really is possible for our calm, assertive energy to have a major influence over our dogs.  If you are interested in doing what is best for your pack I would recommend watching the Dog Whisperer Show or go ahead and try the Cesar Millan DVD’s on dog training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment