Thursday

Cesar’s Way or another dog training method?




Cesar’s Way or another dog training method?  

This article will give you a few suggestions on how to find the right dog training method for you and your pack. 


There are hundreds of dog training methods to choose from when you get your new dog or puppy.  It seems like there are dog training experts everywhere selling their “best” ever dog training methods.  Since Cesar Millan came on the National Geographic Channel as the Dog Whisperer, everyone decided dog training was a new money maker.  I am sure most trainers have the expertise they claim but before you pick a method you will have to do some research.  After you have gathered enough information you can then make a much better decision. 

A lot depends on you the dog owner.  Her are a few questions you need to answer when you start your search for a dog trainer or dog training method. 

  1. Do you want what is best for the dog or do you just want obedience? 

  2. Do you want to hire a trainer or be the trainer? 

  3. Do you want to train your dog using treats and positive reinforcement?

  4. Do you want to use the Clicker method?

  5. Do you want to use electronic collars that use electricity to control your dog?

  6. Do you want to illicit obedience by force or by creating fear in your dog?  

                                          -OR-
  1. Do you want to use training as a way to develop a stronger bond with your dog? 

  2. Do you want to use a method of training that has little need for the use of treats?  A method that does not call for you to hit, spank, prod or abuse your dog in anyway?    

This method relies on your energy as the Alpha dog and pack leader rather than electricity.  This way of training is commonly referred to as Cesar’s Way.  If you want to be a dog whisperer this is the method you need to use. 

Free Shipping + Up to 50% Off at PetMountain.com
One of the things I had always tried to resist was the use of treats as a reward to train any of my dogs.  I had little training or experience in training dogs but I just didn’t want to have to “bribe” my dog into behaving.  I was not sure this was possible but I was certain that I wanted to have a stronger bond with my pet.  My thought was that the treats might get in the way of building a better handler/dog relationship.  It wasn’t until several years later I was fortunate enough to see the Dog Whisperer show.  I immediately realized this was what I was looking for all along. 

 
However, this method of training had many more hurdles for me to get over before I felt like I was making any real progress.  I was not surprised that I was influencing my dog’s behavior with my energy but I wasn’t so sure that I wanted to train myself first before I could project the calm-assertive energy necessary to be the top dog.  So I was going to have to be learning about pack behavior right along with my dog Bobo.

I can say with out hesitation, after using the Dog Whisperer techniques on 7 dogs and having my own pack for over 10 years, that the way of the pack leader is the most rewarding and most satisfying way to train your dog.  If you are truly concerned about what is best for your dog and are willing to look in the mirror at how your own behavior influences the behavior of your pets, you will love Cesar’s Way.  You will be doing what is best for you and your dog.  You will not regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment